The Top Ten Theory of Knowledge Essay Tips
Here are my top tips for getting to top marks on your Theory of Knowledge essay.
1. All ToK essays are cross-disciplinary; they are never just about one way of knowing (perception, language, reason, etc) or one area of knowledge (mathematics, natural sciences, human sciences, history, etc). In general you’ll want to include at least
2. But be careful about which WoK's and AoK's you include. Review all of your notes to refresh your understanding and make sure you’re seeing the relevant connections and make sure (after you’ve done your research) that you have interesting points to make (claims and counter claims).
3. Make an outline first. The outline is your road map and it’s where you make a lot of your major decisions. It will also help you to develop an argument, with each paragraph building on the one before.
3. Research in a lot of different ways: websites, your class notes, talking with people (parents, classmates, your teachers). Find arguments which support both sides of (for and against) your thesis and examples that support your claims and counterclaims. As you develop insights you can use, make sure to record them. ]
4. Make sure you have clarified the scope of your essay (what you're aiming to do). Make it clear, in your introduction, which WOK's and AOK's ’s you’re using. And define your key terms carefully, in ways that are useful to your argument. Dictionary definitions rarely do this. At the minimum, be sure to not just use the first definition you find.
5. It’s easy to forget that ToK is about developing your ability to think for yourself. Give yourself some time away from your outline, to reflect before you begin your real essay. And then try to give yourself a few breaks from your essay as well, so you can come back to it with fresh eyes. It’s hard to see the weaknesses of your thinking while you’re busy trying to get it done (i.e. in a hurry). Come up with your own ideas.
6. Read at least 3 examples of excellent ToK Essays written by other people.
7. Keep editing. Each of your paragraphs should show opposing viewpoints concisely. Compare two opposing ideas about how natural science might relate to your knowledge question.
8. Use specific and qualified language. Rather than writing that “all science always provides useful insights,” instead say that, “chemistryoften provides useful insights.” Words like often or sometimes (instead of always), might or could (instead of should) help to keep from over-generalising or saying more than you can actually support in your essay.
9. To prove your essay's thesis you’ll need to rely on evidence. Various types of facts are fine (quotations, statistics, true stories from your reading or your own life). Avoid using clichés and common examples. If you can use examples that the marker hasn’t heard before this will show that you are thinking for yourself.
10. Read it out loud, after you have finished it. This will help you to find mistakes and areas that don’t flow as well as you thought.
Other Useful ToK Essay Resources
Six steps to writing a good TOK essay: A student guide by Colleen H. Parker at SPHS
Writing a TOK essay, by Richard van de Lagemaat
How to Write a Good TOK Essay, By Peg Robinson
This in link TheoryofKnowledgeStudent.com goes through a variety of examples of how to answer some of the questions from previous years.
Mr Hoyes’ Notes on The ToK Essay
How to Write a Good ToK Paper, from Collective Thinking
Writing a TOK Essay, from ‘Findings’ Part One, Two, Three, Four, and Five.
10 Tips on Writing a Good Theory of Knowledge Essay, from the American International School of Lusaka
Guide to writing the TOK Essay, from IBCram
Tips for writing a good ToK Essay by Ric Sims @ Nothing Nerdy
And consider some common problems, from ToK Talk
‘Knowledge is Power’ is a proverb refers that knowledge is a true power which always remains with the person in all good and bad times. Knowledge makes a person powerful and empowers to win over any condition.
Essay on Knowledge is Power
‘Knowledge is Power’ is very famous and effective proverb. Students generally get this topic in their school during exam time or any essay writing competition to write something in their own words to express views and ideas on this proverb. We have provided here various ‘Knowledge is Power essay’ in very easy and simple words to help school students. Dear students, you can use any of the essay on Knowledge is Power given below according to your need and requirement.
Knowledge is Power Essay 1 (100 words)
Knowledge is power proverb is said by the Francis Bacon. Knowledge is power means; a person having more knowledge will be able to control circumstances in the life accordingly. Knowledge is power really means if one has complete knowledge, he/she can be more powerful in the world and do not require other things in life such as anyone’s help, friends, etc. Knowledge is a most strong tool provides power to people which cannot be defeated by other power on the earth. Knowledge provides social power to person holding certain power over those people who do not. Knowledge and power is a go together forever guy, help to address various difficulties in life. We can say that knowledge gives power and power gives knowledge.
Knowledge is Power Essay 2 (150 words)
The real meaning of proverb ‘Knowledge is Power’ (said by the Francis Bacon) is, knowledge is truly a power and power of knowledge is almost everything. Actually, that is the knowledge which has distinguished the difference in man from animals. Human beings cannot compare animals in the physical power however have been counted as the most powerful creature on the earth just because of the power of knowledge.
Human beings are physically weaker than animals yet they have managed things for years to become the most powerful creature on earth. Because they get power from knowledge and not depend on the physical strength. Human beings are clever creature of nature, they have ability to acquire knowledge and preserve their knowledge, research and experiences in the books in order to pass to the new generations. Knowledge gives them power to know how to control the forces of nature and then use them for getting benefited.
Knowledge is Power Essay 3 (200 words)
Knowledge is power is the famous proverb which means knowledge is very powerful and has ability to win over all other physical power in the world. Once a person gets power of knowledge, he/she do not need to fear from other power. Knowledge plays great role in all aspects of the life by let us know the easy and effective ways to solve the circumstances. Knowledge is a very powerful factor which helps us to easily get name, fame, success, power and position in the life. We can say that money and physical strength are also important tools of power; however both of them are not so powerful like knowledge. Money and physical strength cannot buy or steal the knowledge; it can only be achieved by the continuous practice, devotion, and patience.
Knowledge helps us to convert our planning into the right action and enables to get the difference between right or wrong and good or bad. It helps us to overcome our weaknesses and faults as well as makes us able to face the dangers and difficulties by giving lots of courage and confidence. It makes a person more powerful by giving him mental, moral and spiritual advancement in the life.
Knowledge is Power Essay 4 (250 words)
Knowledge is power which we can say that it is almost everything because it has ability to make a physically weak person a most strong person of the world. It gives everything in the life like money, power, name, fame, success and position. Knowledge gives a person ability to understand, analyze, make better decisions and evolve most intelligent thoughts. It gives us feeling of well being and helps to improve the lives of us and people in our surroundings.
A more knowledgeable person in the society becomes more valuable and respected. A knowledgeable person gets more fame very easily and people want to work with him. Knowledge is the way to more doors and opportunities in the life. Knowledge provides actual freedom in the life and opens all the doors of success. Knowledge provides power to speak through our mind which really helps people to understand who you truly are.
Knowledge is very important tool to get positive changes in the society and country. Knowledge helps us to absorb things from the genius people which have potential to improve the quality of life. Knowledge is the only precious thing which nobody can take away from us; it remains with us forever and increases if we distribute it among the needy people. It gives new and revolutionary ideas which help to alter the way of viewing the world. So, we can say that knowledge is pillar to the success and happiness.
Knowledge is Power Essay 5 (300 words)
Knowledge is power proverb is said by the Francis Bacon, a great essayist. He had given his opinion that knowledge is the source of power to man. The meaning of knowledge is power is that real power comes from the knowledge which distinguishes man from animals. It is very true that human beings are physically weak than animals however they are not so weak by mind because they have knowledge which gives them true power to handle almost everything in the world. Man is considered as the clever creature on the earth even after being weak physically than other creatures.
Man has a mind, full of knowledge and thus full of power which make them able to manage various up and down circumstances in the life. There are many things which man cannot do physically such as running on bare foot, see far like an eagle, run so fast like panther, fight with forest animals, carry heavy loads, smell fast like dog, etc; but he can do all things through the technologies developed by him by using his power of knowledge.
Man has ability to get knowledge (from books, research and experience), preserve into books and again pass on that knowledge to their successive generations. Knowledge is a power which can control nature’s forces as well as giving benefits. The use of knowledge depends on the man; he can use it in positive and negative ways too. The use of knowledge in positive ways give lots of benefits to the humanity however, in the negative ways, it may destroy the whole planet. Man has power to wisely use the knowledge for mankind in order to create a better and safer world.
True knowledge keeps people away from the fights, corruption and other social issues harmful for the humanity. Undoubtedly, we can say that knowledge is power which can bring countless happiness to the people if it is used in the right direction especially for the welfare of whole humanity. Knowledge opens the eyes of people and opens all the way to success.
Knowledge is Power Essay 6 (400 words)
Knowledge is power is the most famous and true proverb said by the famous personality named, Francis Bacon. Knowledge helps to differentiate between human beings and animals. Man has mind and ability to use the power of knowledge accordingly, that’s why man is called as the most powerful and intelligent creature on the earth by the nature. Knowledge helps in improving the personality of man; it creates self confidence and brings lots of patience to do most difficult tasks in the life. We can say godmother to the knowledge because it gives ways to all the discoveries, inventions, and explorations.
Knowledge gain is not limited to anything; it can be gained by the person all through the life of any age. Knowledge gain is a long process of dedication, patience and continuity. It is like unlimited money which can never be finished, however the level of knowledge of a person increases with the distribution among needy people. A person can gain some new knowledge through the regular observation and experimentation. Every person take birth with same quality, mind and power, however when he/she grows develops different quality, mind and power; all differences are just because of the knowledge level of every person. For example, Newton discovered theory of gravitation and there are other many famous scientists who have been discovered amazing things in life involving in making life easy and advance on the earth. All have been possible because of the power of knowledge.
All the modern technologies discovered in many countries individually have made countries so powerful economically and militarily than other countries, all are based on knowledge. The underlying secret of every success is the power of knowledge which ultimately gives a person name, fame and money. India has also done a lot in the field of science, research, medicine, education, etc; still developing continuously in various fields to be a powerful country on the basis of knowledge. The progress of human beings or any country is completely depends on the growth of knowledge in various fields in the positive and constructive ways. Use of knowledge in destructive and negative ways may hugely disturb the life existence on the earth.
Francis Bacon has said that knowledge is itself a power, having ability to change everything. Knowledge gives way to handle situation, to make plan, the way to implement plan and make impossible things possible. If one has complete knowledge, he/she is the luckiest and richest person in the world because knowledge can never be stolen or plundered and does not decrease even when it is given to others. In fact, knowledge is a power and we can say that the strongest power in the world is knowledge.
Essay on knowledge is power given above are written by the professional content writer especially to help students in their difficult times. All are easily worded and given under various words limit to fulfill the need of all range of students. Apart from knowledge is power essay, you can also get other related essays and related information such as:
Essay on Education
Importance of Education Essay
Essay on My School