With the help of “The Censors” by Luisa Valenzuela, interpret the way the essay writer supports one of the themes listed below.
- Humans can change regarding the limited society and absence of freedoms;
- A person can become personal rival when facing a particular life challenge;
- A decision-making process led by emotions can lead to various adverse outcomes;
- Author’s personal theme.
Congratulations – it looks like you have received your first thematic essay assignment! A logical question to follow is, “What is a thematic essay?” In this article, the student can find all answers to the questions regarding this type of academic essay writing along with the helpful hints and great topic ideas.
HELP ME WITH MY ESSAY
Once you are done with your reading, another question may show up. In case a student hesitates about his knowledge or skills, it is possible to hire a professional essay writer from the competent online academic essay service.
What Is a Thematic Essay? You Ask – We Answer
The best answer to the question, “What is a thematic essay” would be: an academic writing assignment, which contains a specific response of the writer to the main essay prompt’s question(s) or an analysis of the specific argument. This type of academic essay focuses on concepts in the selected field of study. It goes beyond recall of facts; the essay enhances critical thinking & analytical skills; this essay makes students provide logical links. Even if the essay’s questions seem unrelated, it is important to draw a parallel.
In this type of essay, the teacher expects the student to analyze several factors.
- Figurative language
- Rhetorical devices
The listed literary devices help the writer to develop the central essay’s theme. They figure as the essay’s evidence collected from credible sources.
Ways to Find the Central Theme of an Essay
In a thematic essay, it may be hard to define the primary question form the first look at the assignment prompt. Use these tips to decide on the central theme of this type of academic essay.
- Make a summary of the used literature: Any source like a book or newspaper provides the necessary hints to define the main idea.
- Select the dominating subject to discuss: Pay attention to the difference between a subject and a theme. A theme is a narrower subject as it talks about a specific point from the overall topic. An example of the essay’s subject might be Stephen’s King novel while an essay’s theme would be a bigotry on the example of “Misery.”
- Learn to read between the lines: Get deeper into the literary piece to get more clues and examples. They will help to find the answers to essay prompt.
- General significance: Can the discussed issue be useful & important in real life?
How to Write a Thematic Essay: Introduction, Conclusion, and Reasons Why Body Paragraphs Come First
The next thing to discuss is how to write a thematic essay. The most challenging task in many academic writing assignments is to highlight/understand/interpret the teacher’s prompt.
How to Write a Thematic Essay for English Literature Class: Analyzing the Prompt
Re-read the instruction carefully several times. Here are the most common tasks a student may face:
- Discussion – Making observations with the help of facts, statistics, logic, reasoning, & argument (introducing the concept in details).
- Description – Illustrating the essay’s topic in words using a lot of details.
- Showing – To make it short, it means “to point out something”; this action is about stating a writer’s side concisely by providing a support/evidence for the author’s words.
- Explanation – Providing things in a plain, understandable way with the help of reasons & causes. Presenting the logical flow of essay ideas.
Developing a Powerful Thematic Essay Introduction
Professional Essay Writer’s Advice
“It may seem unusual, but in case of a thematic essay, a student should start with the body paragraphs. It is better to omit the introduction until the author decides on the main argument of the essay after underlining the primary questions to answer. Once the writer is done, he should review the body paragraphs to come up with an introduction that reveals the arguments and provides a brief overview of the entire text.”
Professor Samuels, a Literature & Arts tutor and online academic essay writer at NerdyMates
What can we say about thematic essay’s introduction? In general, a thematic essay is nothing more than an outline of the main points. If you want to get a clear answer to the question, “What is a thematic essay,” you should understand some academic essays have more primary points than others. It means a student will need more primary sources. He will need to retrieve multiple supporting arguments to defend the essay.
Not to get lost, take down notes mentioning the essay arguments while writing a draft. After that, decide on a strong thesis statement. It gets complicated as a good thesis statement must be concise (a single-sentence statement), and thematic essay requires a plenty of points. It is necessary to choose the most important idea based on the prompt. Essay thesis example: Student’s essay disagrees that the entry of the US army into WWII finished the country’s policy of isolationism in foreign affairs, and that is how the thesis statement should sound!
In your essay’s body then, put minimum 3 good supporting arguments. A typical essay is made of 5 paragraphs. Each of them should provide a particular reason why the US foreign policy changed dramatically after the World War II compared to the post-War policy.
Try to engage the reader’s interests and provide him with a roadmap! Do not forget to add quotations to your essay – find how to cite the sources properly in this article!
Working on Memorable Thematic Essay Conclusion
As the main goal of a thematic essay prompt is to make the student respond to the specific questions, so give your answer at the end! Add a summary of the essay’s topic. Paraphrase the main point, essay’s thesis statement, share the findings and sum up how the included information helped to prove the author’s opinion.
Important! It is necessary to extend an essay’s argument. A sophisticated essay conclusion should not paraphrase the thesis alone – make an attempt to offer the broader meaning of the question by explaining why it is significant.
There are more things to explore to answer, “What is a thematic essay?” For instance, pay attention to the list of global regents thematic essay topics and other topic ideas shared by the top students from the best colleges in the US and the UK!
Thematic Essay: DOs & DON’Ts!
To learn how to write a thematic essay, it is critical to pay attention to the grading rubric. Here is what a student should do to get A:
- Present a concise, clear knowledge;
- Address all the assigned questions;
- Perform a deep analysis of the subjects/events/people;
- Write a cogent thematic essay, rich for the details;
- Prepare a summary of the basic arguments;
- Develop powerful introduction and conclusion.
What about the bad ideas? In case a student lacks the depth/accuracy, provides faulty evaluation, misses any question, ignores the examples, writes weak introduction/conclusion, or fails to cite the sources properly, he/she risks obtaining an F. try to keep away from other academic writing mistakes after reading this article.
ORDER A THEMATIC ESSAY HERE
30 Thematic Essay Topics to Satisfy Student’s Curiosity
Are you ready to observe the list of the most interesting thematic essay topics? The article has several separate categories of such ideas: US history thematic essay, global regents thematic essay topics, and belief systems thematic essay. This way, it will be easier to choose what a student needs.
Belief Systems Thematic Essay
- Determine the God in Christianity
- Identify the founding father of Hinduism
- Define a significant manual or book used as the main holy text of the chosen religion
- Find out how many followers Islam has nowadays
- Discover the ways a certain religious movement spreads its dogmas into the world
- Define the role of certain religious movement's leaders in the cultural development of the nations
- Decide on and provide the details on the significant construction of the particular religion
- List the goals of the Buddhism along with its main life lessons
- Identify the wisdom shared by the Christianity followers
- Discuss three or more basic teachings of Judaism
Global Regents Thematic Essay Topics
- Decide on a couple of natural resources. Explain why people need them and how these resources influence entire population
- Choose a country that supports imperialism. Provide an in-depth overview of the reasons why these people chose to follow this specific regime and explain the ways imperialism impacted the conquerors
- Pick a couple of geographic conditions and show their effect on the particular region & its development
- Interpret the ways some of the best ideas evolved over time
- Discuss how a particular political movement affected people living in a certain country
- Focus on the life and activity of 2 known philosophers and explain their roles in the development of modern philosophical trends
- Talk about 3 people who decided to challenge the religion in a particular country. Explain their fate in details
- Discuss several historical leaders who led to positive changes
- Focus on explaining the consequences and outcomes of some famous wars
- Revolutions of student’s choice: development, ending, and results
US History Thematic Essay
- Identify the causes and outcomes of the Great Depression
- Identify the reasons for and consequences of the Civil War in the United States
- Define the causes & results of the Korean War
- Point to the impact of social media on the modern US history
- 2 foreign policies run by the United States: Describe them in details
- Assess the success of 1820-1933 reforms in the US
- Analyze the causes and consequences of the migrations within the United States
- Identify the reasons why Europeans destroyed Indian population
- Choose a couple of trade agreements that were controversial. Mention why they were supported/rejected by the government
- Choose a couple of areas that belong to the United States. Explain the ways this country conquered or enslaved those territories
Wow, such an inspiring list of thematic essay topics, isn’t it? We are not saying they are the best and only options in the world. A student can always look for other exciting ideas, read free essay examples, use the ideas of famous authors, and do other things to increase this list of possible topics. What is a choice of topic is not a problem, and you need some writing help? The simplest and most reasonable way to submit an A+ thematic essay on any topic is to purchase custom college essays offered by the leading US/UK essay writing service! Its prices are democratic, and the results are above any expectations!
This site has been blocked by the network administrator.
Block reason: Gateway GEO-IP Filter Alert
IP address: 220.127.116.11
Connection initiated from country: Russian Federation