OHIO UNIVERSITY SOUTHERN
2018 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay Contest Guidelines
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY FRIDAY, JANUARY 5, 2018
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Rules & Guidelines:
2. Students may submit only one essay, and it must be the student’s original work.
3. The essay must be typed in Times New Roman font, size 12, double spaced with standard one inch margins, one side only.
4. The essay must be between 750 and 1000 words (about 3-5 pages).
5. The name, home phone number, parent’s email address, school,grade, and age of student author must be submitted on the entry form,accompanying the essay. Do not place your name or any other identifying information on any other page.
6. All essays are to include references, utilizing at least one book source, but no more than one website source. The sources do not need to be from Dr. King. They can relate to the topic of your essay.
7. Essays may NOT include photographs, images, illustrations, etc.
8. All essays will be judged on the author’s knowledge of the following: Dr. King and his work in the civil rights movement, relevancy to essay theme, originality of ideas and clarity of expression, personal perspective, organization, grammar, and guidelines.
9. All essays submitted become the property of Ohio University Southern and may be displayed on the website, in other university publications, or in locations throughout the community.
10. Children of Ohio University Southern faculty and staff are not eligible.
Deadline & Submission
- In the subject area of the email write the title of your essay
- Include in the text of your email the following information (This information serves as your ENTRY FORM for email submissions. Entries will not be read without the following):
- First Name
- Last Name
- Essay Title
- School Grade & Age
- Street Address, City, State, Zip Code
- Telephone Number with area code
- Parent’s Email Address
- School Name & Teacher’s Email Address
- Attach Speech (do not include your name or any of the above information (except title) on your essay).
Registration Deadline: Friday, January 5, 2018 at 5:00pm.
- Print and fill in the registration entry form
- Attach the registration form to your speech (do not include your name or entry information on your essay)
- Mail registration form and essay to:
Essays must be received by Friday, January 5, 2018 at 5:00pm. A confirmation will be sent to the email address listed on the registration form within three business days.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Each year, on the Sunday evening preceding the MLK National Holiday, our community hosts a march, dinner reception, and community-wide celebration and worhsip service in honor of the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.
The typical schedule for this event is:
4:30 pm – March begins on the steps of Webster Groves City Hall ( 4 East Lockwood and proceeds to Steger Sixth Grade Center (701 N. Rock Hill Road). The march route is approximately 1 mile long.
5:00 pm – March concludes at Steger. A simple dinner reception is held in the Steger Cafeteria.
5:45 pm – Community celebration and community service at Steger Auditorium.
March participants may walk or drive. A shuttle will depart from Steger Sixth Grade Center at 4pm for those who want to walk and leave their car at Steger.
Note: Please check our event calendar for event details this year.
Each year the Martin Luther King Community Planning Committee sponsors an essay contest for children and youth. Each annual contest is structured around a theme designated by the Planning Committee.
Check our calendar for the theme announcement and annual submission deadlines.
Essay contest awards are presented at the Martin Luther King Community Celebration. The writer of the best essay in each grade/category will receive a $100 U.S. Savings Bond.
Essays must be a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 500 words. They should be submitted in person or by mail to the address below. Some submissions may be made by teachers as part of in class activities.
Please send submissions to:
Webster-Rock Hill Ministries
MLK Celebration Essay Contest
111 East Waymire Avenue
Webster Groves, MO 63119
The categories are kindergarten, grades 1-2, grades 3-5, grades 6-8, and grades 9-12